Written By: Christian Hyatt

Home | About | Travel | Technology | Craft Beer

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The End of Mobile Phone Bloatware

Two years ago I switched from iPhone to Andriod. I switched because I didn't like the idea of being locked into Apple's universe. I wanted control and flexibility - which I got to some extent - but not totally. My new smartphone still has applications that I cannot remove - even if I want to or totally dislike the product.

For example, I deleted my Facebook account months ago, but can't remove the app from my phone.

I see this as a very counter-productive to a product like Android who wants to poach users from Apple. Especially when most would-be converts are probably looking for something more flexible in the first place. Why limit flexibility and user-control? Why inhibit the very thing most Android converts are looking for?

As it turns out the problem is so wide spread that South Korea has implemented legislation banning the practice:

"The South Korean Ministry of Science, ICT, and Future Planning has banned the common practice of mobile manufacturers and networks putting un-removable apps on smartphones. 
Telcos will now be required to make all pre-installed apps deletable, except for those that enable Wi-Fi connectivity, near-field communication, customer service, and an app store."

Mobile phone designers should take notice. I doubt new legislation will (or should) be enforced here in America to ban bloatware, but it is only a matter of time before people start "talking with their wallets" and switch to a mobile phone manufacturer that gives users more control. The same reason I switched from iPhone to Droid in the first place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment